GIRLS OF THE GULCH
The mayor paid their fines
as a station on the De Morés stage line at the forks of the Belle
Fourche and Redwater rivers, Belle Fourche roared to life in 1890 with
the arrival of the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri River Railroad.
little town quickly became a major cattle-shipping center, catering to
ranchers and cowboys by providing the entertainment they were looking
for – dancing and drinking, gambling and girls.
On April 20, 1903, the thriving cattle town incorporated as the city of
Belle Fourche, electing 22-year-old S. G. Mortimer as mayor.
The hardware store Mortimer bought in 1901, after moving to town from
the Wyoming Bear Lodge homestead, gave him a daily ringside seat at
downtown events and activities.
With subtle humor he recounted his venture into the business world.
READ THE ENTIRE STORY in the March/April edition
of Deadwood Magazine
here for subscription
2005 © Deadwood Magazine
rights reserved. No portion of any articles on this site may be reproduced in
any form or by any means without express written permission of the publisher.